Anyone can access subdirectories of public_html (folder containing all the public files of your hosting account) using a web browser. To restrict access to a particular directory under public_html:
- Connect to cPanel
- Click Directory Confidentiality in the Security topic. There you will find a list of subfolders.
- Click the folder icon to the left of public_html to see its contents. You will now see the subdirectories of public_html.
- To select a folder to protect, click its link (not the icon).
- On the Security Settings page, select the Protect this directory with a password checkbox.
- In the Protected directory name field, enter the title you want to assign to the selected directory, for example 'My Protected Folder'.
- Click Save
- At the bottom of the page, create a username and password that will be used to access this folder.
- Click Add/Edit Authorized User
- Check that the chosen directory is well and truly secure with the information provided by accessing your page directly via your web browser.
Note: You can only protect folders, not individual files.
- 0 Users Found This Useful
Hotlink protection is a security feature in cPanel designed to reduce bandwidth consumption. It...
Occasionally, WHM or cPanel might experience errors that can only be resolved by updating the...
Here are different reasons and solutions to resolve problems connecting to your cPanel. If you...
To install cPanel & WHM on your server, run the following command: cd /home &&...
Once you have configured the backup for your server and the first backup has been taken, you can...