Anyone can access subdirectories of public_html (folder containing all the public files of your hosting account) using a web browser. To restrict access to a particular directory under public_html:
- Connect to cPanel
- Click Directory Confidentiality in the Security topic. There you will find a list of subfolders.
- Click the folder icon to the left of public_html to see its contents. You will now see the subdirectories of public_html.
- To select a folder to protect, click its link (not the icon).
- On the Security Settings page, select the Protect this directory with a password checkbox.
- In the Protected directory name field, enter the title you want to assign to the selected directory, for example 'My Protected Folder'.
- Click Save
- At the bottom of the page, create a username and password that will be used to access this folder.
- Click Add/Edit Authorized User
- Check that the chosen directory is well and truly secure with the information provided by accessing your page directly via your web browser.
Note: You can only protect folders, not individual files.
- 0 Users Found This Useful
cPanel and WHM have gone through some serious upgrades to their Email Hosting features...
cPanel is a control panel with which you can manage almost any element of your cPanel hosting...
In cPanel, the powerful web hosting control panel, there is an...
Wildcard subdomains are a useful cPanel feature that allows you to direct non-existing subdomains...
You can redirect www accesses of your domain to the non-www version using the cPanel Redirections...