Your domain name is your online identity, and will (hopefully) stay with you for a long time, therefore it's important to choose the best possible domain name for your needs.
A domain name consists of a main name (example: mywebsite), followed by a Top Level Domain, or TLD (example: .com). Some domain examples are:
You are free to choose any domain name you like - as long as it hasn't already been reserved by somebody else.
So how do you choose the best possible domain name? Here are some useful tips to get you started:
- Choose a name that's short and easy to remember. Try to avoid domain names that are difficult to spell
- Use a domain name that accurately reflects the contents of your web site
- If you have a corporate web site, use the name of your company as your domain name, if possible.
- Use keywords in your domain name in order to increase search engine rankings.
- It's possible to register multiple domain names and associate them to the same web site, each with their own marketing objective (example: your first domain uses your company's name and your second domain uses popular keywords for optimal Search Engine ranking)
Once you've chosen a name, you should also consider the type of domain (TLD). You have several options:
- .com : available to all, this is the most popular domain type available on the Internet. If available, you should probably choose a .com. Being the most common, it is unfortunately also the most difficult to find since most have already been registered. You'll need to be a little creative to find a good .com domain!
- .ca : stricter eligibility criteria; this type of domain is reserved for Canadian residents or businesses. We strongly recommend .ca domains if you target a Canadian market.
- .net : available to all, .net domains were initially used mainly by tech companies. Today, this extension is used in most commercial sectors and is a good alternative if the .com domain has already been taken.
- .org : Initially used by groups or organizations, but available to all. Ideal for NGOs and non-profit groups.
- .co : new general-purpose domain launched in 2010 is a great .com alternative. It's a little more expensive but being so new its availabilities make it extremely attractive.
- .biz : available to all, used mainly for commercial businesses.
- .info : available to all, used mainly for informational sites.
- .me : available to all, used mainly for personal sites.
Ready to get started? Consult our Domain Names page for prices and to verify the availability of your domain name.
- 5 Users Found This Useful
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, which is a standard network protocol used for the transfer...
The world of computer system storage devices can be a sea of confusing jargon and a veritable...
You can easily open a Nuagerie support ticket – or check the status of an existing one...
File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a standard method for transferring files to and from...
Each hosting account allows you to create one or more personalized email accounts. The allowed...