Hotlink protection is a security feature in cPanel designed to reduce bandwidth consumption. It works by preventing third-party websites from directly linking to your content (for example, pulling in images hosted on your server for display on their own web pages).
You can whitelist specific URLs for permitted access to files, nominate specific file types to protect or redirect requests to a specific URL of your choosing.
To set up Hotlink protection in cPanel,
- Go to Security < Hotlink Protection.
- Click the Enable button to start protecting your bandwidth.
- Now review the list of permitted URLs lower down the page. By default, this list will include any subdomains you have configured. Add or remove URLs as required.
- Now review the list of blocked file types. By default, most popular image types are blocked, but you can add any file extension here to protect your media.
- If you wish to allow direct requests (via a specific URL), ensure the relevant box is checked.
- Finally, enter a URL if you wish to redirect hotlink requests.